How good are you at Project Management?
Did you know that Project Management is a competency that you can develop? We define the Project Management competency as, "Identifying and overseeing all resources, tasks, systems and people to obtain results." Who do you know who is highly skilled at Project Management?
With practice, you can grow and develop this skill just like other "hard skills" you might be good at like cooking, public speaking, employee coaching, or playing golf.
How do I grow as a leader: Project Management?
Those with a highly developed skill of Project Management exhibit the following:
- Identifies all required components to achieve goals, objectives or results.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize the right people to complete the project.
- Establishes high performance standards.
- Holds people accountable and is focused on goals and priorities.
- Identifies barriers to objectives and removes them.
- Delegates appropriate responsibilities and authority.
- Ensures adequate resources are available to achieve objectives.
- Makes decisions that benefit the outcome of the project.
- Plans, organizes, motivates and controls resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Maintains the objectives while honoring designated constraints.
Behaviorally, it comes more naturally and requires less focus for some of us to effectively manage projects. For the rest of us, it is a skill we may need to invest energy into developing in order to be more effective. Our Driving Forces will reward for some skills and not others. If your job or your environment demands something from you that isn't naturally present in your Behaviors or Driving Forces, you can develop it in your Competencies.
What about you? How developed are you at the competency of Project Management? What about the people on your team? Is this something you want your team to be strong in?
Understand the health of your team in minutes.
Invest 15 minutes to get your Team Health Score and summary report. Bring clarity and confidence to engaging your team.
Subscribe to the Kutsko Report!
Our weekly newsletter is trusted by hundreds of executive leaders.
Be the first to know about the latest trends in leadership, talent, and organizational culture. Sign up now and get the freshest tips and tricks delivered to your inbox once a week.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.