How good are you at Problem Solving?
Did you know that Problem Solving is a competency that you can develop? We define the Problem Solving competency as, "Defining, analyzing and diagnosing key components of a problem to formulate a solution." Who do you know who is highly skilled at Problem Solving?
With practice, you can grow and develop this skill just like other "hard skills" you might be good at like cooking, public speaking, employee coaching, or playing golf.
How do I grow as a leader: Problem Solving?
Those with a highly developed skill of Problem Solving exhibit the following:
- Anticipates identifies and resolves problems or obstacles.
- Utilizes logical processes to analyze and solve problems.
- Defines the causes, effects, impact, and scope of problems.
- Identifies the multiple components of problems and their relationships.
- Prioritizes steps to a solution.
- Defines and develops criteria for optimum solutions.
- Evaluates the potential impact of possible solutions.
- Looks for specific goals, clearly defined solution paths, and/or clear expected solutions.
- Allows for initial planning including some abstract thinking to come up with creative solutions.
- Understands and defines the problem before jumping to a solution.
Behaviorally, it comes more naturally and requires less focus for some of us to effectively solve problems. For the rest of us, it is a skill we may need to invest energy into developing in order to be more effective. Our Driving Forces will reward for some skills and not others. If your job or your environment demands something from you that isn't naturally present in your Behaviors or Driving Forces, you can develop it in your Competencies.
What about you? How developed are you at the competency of Problem Solving? What about the people on your team? Is this something you want your team to be strong in?
Understand the health of your team in minutes.
Invest 15 minutes to get your Team Health Score and summary report. Bring clarity and confidence to engaging your team.
Subscribe to the Kutsko Report!
Our weekly newsletter is trusted by hundreds of executive leaders.
Be the first to know about the latest trends in leadership, talent, and organizational culture. Sign up now and get the freshest tips and tricks delivered to your inbox once a week.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.