How good are you at Flexibility?
Did you know that Flexibility is a competency that you can develop? We define the Flexibility competency as, "Readily modifying, responding and adapting to change with minimal resistance." Who do you know who is highly skilled at Flexibility?
With practice, you can grow and develop this skill just like other "hard skills" you might be good at like cooking, public speaking, employee coaching, or playing golf.
How do I grow as a leader: Flexibility?
Those with a highly developed skill of Flexibility exhibit the following:
- Responds promptly to shifts in direction, priorities and schedules.
- Demonstrates agility in accepting new ideas, approaches and/or methods.
- Effective in shifting priorities and tasks.
- Modifies methods or strategies to fit changing circumstances.
- Adapts personal style to work with different people.
- Maintains productivity during transitions.
- Embraces and/or champions a shift in activity.
- Strives to adapt to situational demands.
- Capable of changing or adjusting to meet particular or varied needs.
- Able to step outside their comfort zone and try something they haven’t done before.
Behaviorally, it comes more naturally and requires less focus for some of us to be flexible. For the rest of us, it is a skill we may need to invest energy into developing in order to be more effective. Our Driving Forces will reward for some skills and not others. If your job or your environment demands something from you that isn't naturally present in your Behaviors or Driving Forces, you can develop it in your Competencies.
What about you? How developed are you at the competency of Flexibility? What about the people on your team? Is this something you want your team to be strong in?
Sign up now and get access to our Free Preview as well as the freshest tips and tricks delivered to your inbox once a week. Our weekly newsletter is trusted by thousands of managers, executive leaders, and learning & development professionals.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.