How good are you at Continuous Learning?
Did you know that Continuous Learning is a competency that you can develop? We define the Continuous Learning competency as, "analyzing hypothetical situations, patterns and/or abstract concepts to formulate connections and new insights." Who do you know who is highly skilled at Continuous Learning?
With practice, you can grow and develop this skill just like other "hard skills" you might be good at like cooking, public speaking, employee coaching, or playing golf.
How do I grow as a leader: Continuous Learning?
Those with a highly developed skill of Continuous Learning exhibit the following:
- Demonstrates curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Takes initiative in acquiring and mastering the skills and knowledge requirements of a position.
- Keeps abreast of current or new information through reading and other learning methods.
- Actively interested in new technologies, processes and methods.
- Welcomes or seeks assignments requiring new skills and knowledge.
- Expends considerable effort and/or time on learning.
- Genuinely enjoys learning.
- Identifies opportunities to gain knowledge.
- May be considered a knowledgeable resource by others.
- Enjoys new resources or methods for learning.
Behaviorally, it comes more naturally and requires less focus for some of us to continue learning effectively. For the rest of us, it is a skill we may need to invest energy into developing in order to be more effective. Our Driving Forces will reward for some skills and not others. If your job or your environment demands something from you that isn't naturally present in your Behaviors or Driving Forces, you can develop it in your Competencies.
What about you? How developed are you at the competency of Continuous Learning? What about the people on your team? Is this something you want your team to be strong in?
Sign up now and get access to our Free Preview as well as the freshest tips and tricks delivered to your inbox once a week. Our weekly newsletter is trusted by thousands of managers, executive leaders, and learning & development professionals.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.