How good are you at Conceptual Thinking?
Did you know that Conceptual Thinking is a competency that you can develop? We define the Conceptual Thinking competency as, "analyzing hypothetical situations, patterns and/or abstract concepts to formulate connections and new insights." Who do you know who is highly skilled at Conceptual Thinking?
With practice, you can grow and develop this skill just like other "hard skills" you might be good at like cooking, public speaking, employee coaching, or playing golf.
How do I grow as a leader: Conceptual Thinking?
Those with a highly developed skill of Conceptual Thinking exhibit the following:
- Demonstrates the ability to identify patterns, themes or connections not
noticed by others.
- Gathers hypothetical or abstract concepts to formulate new insights.
- Evaluates many patterns to formulate connections.
- Recognizes unique or unusual perspectives.
- Envisions hypothetical situations to formulate new concepts.
- Utilizes patterns to develop new ways to process information.
- Observes and analyzes data to create new methods, techniques or
- Sees new possibilities by dissecting the situation and examining the
- Integrates issues and factors into a practical framework.
- Understands a situation or problem by identifying patterns or connections, to address key underlying issues.
Behaviorally, it comes more naturally and requires less focus for some of us to Conceptual Thinking. For the rest of us, it is a skill we may need to invest energy into developing in order to be more effective. Our Driving Forces will reward for some skills and not others. If your job or your environment demands something from you that isn't naturally present in your Behaviors or Driving Forces, you can develop it in your Competencies.
What about you? How developed are you at the competency of Conceptual Thinking? What about the people on your team? Is this something you want your team to be strong in?
Understand the health of your team in minutes.
Invest 15 minutes to get your Team Health Score and summary report. Bring clarity and confidence to engaging your team.
Subscribe to the Kutsko Report!
Our weekly newsletter is trusted by hundreds of executive leaders.
Be the first to know about the latest trends in leadership, talent, and organizational culture. Sign up now and get the freshest tips and tricks delivered to your inbox once a week.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.